23 January 2010

Gumby Magic



Gumby Magic
United States
Family Home Entertainment, 1987, VHS
Run Time - 50 minutes
This tape is listed at Amazon as "Gumby vol. 2," but it doesn't say that anywhere on the product. These later F.H.E. cassettes don't have volume numbers on 'em.

Episodes:
The Magic Wand
Mirror Land (Dec 29, 1956 modified version of Lost Found)
Robot Rumpus
Moon Trip
Trapped on the Moon
Gumby on the Moon (an edited a spliced version of the previous two episodes)
The Eggs and Trixie (Dec. 28, 1957, a modified version of the episode Egg Trouble)
Eager Beavers (modified version of Tree Trouble)
The Magic Show (a modified version of episode The Magic Wand)


I found out the hard way when I was a kid that being a fan of Gumby didn't look cool with the ladies, and I still ocassionally get shit for it from my friends. Now, emboldened by the death of Gumby creator Art Clokey, I'd like to begin the semi-complete record of Gumby cassettes that I've been sitting on for a while.

Rhino issued a DVD box set in 2002, but they were all the re-dubbed versions from the 1980's. I don't remember too well, but in any case I couldn't afford the set so I stuck with the VHS tapes. The problem with those is that the episodes are all out of order chronologically, jumping from the early 50's to the late 60's on the same tape, and the tapes themselves seem to have little order. For that reason I offer this somewhat clarifying ongoing "Gumby Archive." I'll include whatever information I can dig up, but send clarifications if you have any.

No comments: